CSI was founded in March 1948 by the specification writers of government agencies who came together to improve the quality of construction specifications. The Institute’s efforts were essential in improving construction specification quality so that it could meet the demands of the post-war construction boom. Development of specifications best practices, promulgating standards/formats, professional education, and certification were cornerstones of the Institute.
The Institute grew quickly to include specification writers in the private sector, design professionals concerned about communicating their vision in construction documents, constructors interested in delivering high-quality facilities, and material suppliers with unique solutions to construction challenges. These construction professionals continue to work together today as CSI members to effectively communicate the designers’ vision, the material producers’ solutions, and the constructors’ techniques to create outstanding facilities that meet facility owners’ objectives.
The Dallas Chapter was chartered in February 1957 with 22 Active members and 43 Associate members. The following is a 1990s computer-generated re-creation of the original chapter charter from 1957:
The Dallas Chapter of The Construction Specifications Institute
Dallas, Texas - Granted February 16, 1957
The members of The Construction Specifications Institute named below, having complied with the by-laws governing the establishment of a Chapter, the Board of Directors of the Institute hereby constitutes and officially designates The Dallas Chapter as an affiliated Chapter of The Construction Specifications Institute This Chapter shall exercise all of the privileges granted to a Chapter under the by-laws of the Institute. By action of the Board of Directors of The Construction Specifications Institute February 16, 1957
|Harry C. Plummer|
|Sam Biderman||B. Royal Cantrell||Chester H. Hewitt||Lothar F. Riba|
|Russell C. Bowers||Edward C. Davis||William Daniel Kiebler||Arthur E. Thomas|
|Thomas D. Broad||Milton S. Fuqua||Henry T.J. Martin||Harley L. Tracey|
|Lavere Brooks||Grayson Gill||James N. MacCammon||Roger L. Ward|
|Stanley Brown||Leslie E. Hamilton||Thomas J. Palm, Jr.||Robert D. White|
|Terrell R. Harper||Fred N. Palmer, Jr.|
|Arthur C. Bell||William P. Dunne||Joseph M. Kern||Robert E. Russell|
|George Bock||Rod D. Gambrell, Jr.||Dale A. Lehr||William H. Smith, Jr.|
|William J. Bole||Davis Gomillion||Vernon C. Liles||Charles S. Strawn|
|Joseph Bonnett||James Russell Gray||Harry G. Lobsiger||Ray B. Taylor|
|Percy L. Carpenter||George H. Harmon, Jr.||Norman H. Lueck||Charles E. Terry|
|Garretson J. Creighton||Julian C. Harris, Jr.||William E. Matlack, Jr.||Leo D. Volkmer|
|Robert E. Clayton||Alfred P. Helm||William F. Mulligan, Jr.||Edward W. Walton|
|J.C. Davis||A. Curtis Horn, Jr.||Elmer L. Purtle||James M. White|
|Edward D. Demetri||Curtis O. Johnson||Jack G. Putman||Edwin A. Wolf, Jr.|
|Frank T. Dooley||Howard E. Johnson||Walter H. Roath||Edwin J. Wright|
|Charles F. Drury||Herbert M. Kahn||John F. Rudin|
ALSO THAT YEAR . . .
- Los Angeles adopts a revised building code in 1957 that permits construction of high-rise buildings.
- The code reflects earthquake-stress engineering technology.
In 1957, the first annual convention is held in conjunction with the American Institute of Architects.
The Board reaffirms that in order to realize growth, it must have a long-range plan.
It establishes the Advance Planning Board, which later evolves into the Long Range Planning Committee.
In May 1957, the Construction Specifier introduces a new department, "Specifications Methods."
Annual subscriptions to the magazine are $5 for members and $10 for non-members.
In May, the magazine's editors decide tosend complimentary copies to trade organizations and schools.
The Institute also decides that the Specifier will begin to accept paid advertising.
In 1957, the Board redefines boundaries. It approves a nationwide zoning plan for CSI, establishing 12 regions.
A membership drive increases the ranks to 1,500 members.
As of June 1, dues are $12 per year.